Did you know that over 50% of the crime incidents responded to by MID’s Public Safety were reported via WhatsApp in August? It’s that easy…
- WhatsApp MID Public Safety directly on 060 850 6260, or even better, be part of the solution and . . .
- Join MCSI (your local neighbourhood watch) and you’ll be added to the MCSI Alerts WhatsApp Group which is monitored by the neighbourhood watch community
Providing information or requesting assistance via this channel adds immediate value to the security cycle because patrollers know what to watch for and where to best position themselves. Even if an incident occurred outside of the MID area, criminals may very well enter the MID area subsequently and patrollers can then take action.
Just a few examples:
|An MCSI WhatsApp alert reported four young boys who allegedly robbed people walking towards Sunrise Circle.||Muizenberg police were contacted by the MCSI group. The MID patrollers stood by for any assistance required in the MID area. The juveniles were found and taken into custody by the police.|
|A WhatsApp alert from a MID resident asked the MID Public Safety Patrollers to be on the lookout for two men driving around in a red Toyota. They had robbed a man of his cell phone.||The men fled the scene after taking the cell phone from the victim. The victim opened a case of theft at the Police Station. The MID Public Safety Officers remained on high alert.|
|A WhatsApp alert reported three men had entered a house and stolen TVs and other small items before fleeing in a white Toyota Tazz.||While this happened outside the MID on private property, MID Public Safety Officer Zulu and the foot patrollers remained on high alert for the Toyota Tazz in the MID area.|
Being “eyes and ears” for the public safety team is an easy, low-risk way for anyone to make a valuable contribution to Muizenberg’s safety! Remember – if you do see anything suspicious take note of as many details as you can:
- Car make and colour (and model if you can!)
- Number plate, or even partial plate
- Person height and shoes in particular – as these are 2 things that are very hard to change in a hurry!
- Any other details you think stand out or might be useful